Sunday, November 6, 2011

worth a try

I sewed this evening to the poignant strains of "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem."
Later, after foraging in the fridge, I sat dreamily snacking on crisp watermelon cubes as I listened to "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas."
Suddenly, as though wakening, I became aware of the strange juxtaposition of watermelon and Christmas carols.
We listen to Christmas carols all year at our house, and it seems the last few years that watermelon is available year round too. Seasonal treats both and yet they "work" together. Maybe that's why they do.
A friend suggested spaghetti squash and ice-cream as possible partners tonight. A sort of deconstructed version of pumpkin pie a la mode.
These unlikely duos abound.
Swedes skinny dip in snow banks.
Iced tea tastes great steaming in a mug. Hot lemon anyone?

I wonder what other festive combinations are worth a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment