Saturday, November 27, 2010

B Minor Mass

Why waste money on psychotherapy when you can listen to the B Minor Mass?  ~Michael Torke
I've never listened to the B Minor Mass but I'm pretty sure it would make me cry.  Music strikes the chords of grief it seems.

I can understand why Celtic music breaks my heart and church hymns too for that matter, but Christmas music?
Oscar Wilde said, " Music is the art which is most nigh to tears and memory." 
It's like hearing our soul.
Music says things we have only felt but could not express. 
"Its language is a language which the soul alone understands, but which the soul can never translate."  ~Arnold Bennett
I have found myself weeping as I drive, overtaken by grief, crying silent tears as I work, eyes burning in a crowded store. The malls are full of people, and full of music this time of year and the tune in my heart is definitely a B Minor Mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment