Saturday, July 10, 2010

a thing of beauty is a joy forever

A scrap of British linen, cotton pillow piping and painters tape worked hand in hand to produce this bag.

I love the coarse, peasant texture of linen and pounced on a towel sized piece that was up for grabs at a guild meeting. A bag seemed to suggest itself, and I had a delightful time, sliding the pattern pieces around to compose the "best" grouping of floral design for the front and back of the purse.
I find that the longer I have a piece of fabric, the harder it is to cut into. Its untouched, sacred wholeness takes courage to alter. Ever mindful of the paralysing power of the "uncut," I took a deep breath, seized the moment and my scissors, and fell to it.
Painters tape worked like a charm to space the quilting although I did run into a little glitch, but a few mistakes promote mental health. It's all a matter of perspective.
I'm still looking for the right giant button for the closure. I may make a self-covered one but I think something wooden or bone would work like jewelry.
When I look at this picture, a quote of Keats comes to mind, "A thing of beauty, is a joy forever....."

No comments:

Post a Comment