Monday, March 29, 2010

mortal

Neil Diamond is sadly singing and it's raining cats and dogs and I'm feeling very mortal tonight. Sometimes the unknown and the known converge in a heartstopping way. My Mom's always been a sweet, bright little sprite. And as age evaporates the unessentials, the substance remains. Still sweet. Oh Mom, how will I live through seeing you lose your memory.
My Mom is a very well read woman and has managed my father's diet and doctor's visits for years. He would joke that she's managed more than that, and she probably has. Every relationship that spans the decades as theirs has, is a balance of care and control. Dad has come to rely on her vigilance and as her hold on the reins loosens, the team is thrown into moments of confusion. It shows we never are free from learning and adjusting to life as long as we live on this earth. One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment